Recipe Chicken Biryani
Biryani has been originated in Turkey or Persia. The Muslim travelers have brought this to India and other places on the map closer to Persia. You can make a vegetable, mutton, chicken, prawn, fish biryani. The word Biryani means ‘fried before cooking’. Traditionally earthen pots were used to make biryani to bring out the best aroma.
- 1 kg – chicken, cut into medium size pieces
- ½ kg basmati rice
- 1.5 liter of water
- 1 tsp – Ginger paste
- 1 tsp – Garlic Paste
- 3- large onions, finely sliced
- 3 – green chillies, chopped
- 1 cup – chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup – chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp – red chilli powder
- 10 strands of saffron(Kashmiri kesar)
- ½ cup – milk
- 2 cups – yoghurt
- 2-3 tbsp – lemon juice
- 7- cloves
- 2 – bay leaves
- 5 – green cardamoms
- 1 – inch piece cinnamon
- 2 tbsp – ghee
- ¾ cup – oil
- Salt to taste
- Grind to paste – 7 cloves, 4 cardamoms, ½ tsp – whole pepper, ½ inch piece – cinnamon
- Soak saffron in warm milk and keep aside. Saffron is the stigma of a flower, crocus.
- Fry the sliced onions till crispy golden brown in color.
- When cool, grind it coarsely.
- Rub ginger and garlic paste all over the chicken
- Add red chilli powder, half of the mint and coriander, lemon juice, green chilles, the ground spices, crushed onions, yoghurt and the oil in which the onions were fried .Marinate for 2 hours
- In a heavy-bottomed vessel, put the chicken along with the marinade and cook on medium heat until the gravy is ready and the oil is separated.
- Boil water, when hot enough add the remaining spices such as whole cloves, bay leaves, cardamoms and cinnamon then add salt and the rice. Parboil the Rice. Do not let the rice cook completely
- Drain the water and keep the rice side
- To layer the biryani, add ghee in an earthen pot and layer rice then chicken gravy then rice and add the saffron milk to it on top of it
- Put the remaining ghee, coriander, mint leaves for the flavor.
- Seal the biryani and on slow flame let it cook for about 20-30 minutes
- Serve hot it with accompaniments like ghee, pickles etc,.