Recipe: Dum Aloo
Dum Aloo is a Kashmiri dish very famous for its palatable and appetizing flavor and taste. Its origin is from Kashmir and the famous Dum Aloo is sold all over the world and prepared in almost every household in India. It is served with roti, a type of bread made of wheat flour.
- Small potatoes -10 no’s
- 3 tbsp – mustard oil
- Salt as required
- ½ tsp – sugar
- 2 tbsp – tomato puree
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves – garlic
- 6 – cashew nuts
- ½ tsp – turmeric powder
- ½ tsp – chilli powder(paprika)
- ½ tsp – garam masala (Masala made out of whole spices)
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan
- After the oil is hot enough, fry sliced onions till brown, remove and keep aside
- Fry the small potatoes in the same oil till brown and remove
- Grind the sliced browned onions and the garlic to a fine paste
- Add it to the hot oil
- Add the masalas such as turmeric powder, chili powder, Garam masala, salt and a bit of sugar
- Fry the masalas for a minute on low flame or when you see oil leaving the gravy onto the sides.
- Add the tomato puree
- Now add the potatoes and enough water.
- Cover with a lid and cook for few minutes.
- Make a smooth paste or a nut milk of cashew nuts and add to the gravy
- Let it simmer for a while and serve hot.