Okra flavored with garlic and spiced with Indian spices.
Cuisine: north Indian
- 200 gms bhindi/okra/lady finger
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped or sliced garlic/lahsun
- 1 green chili, chopped or slit
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder/amchur
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- some chopped coriander or mint for garnishing
How to make the recipe:
1. Rinse, wipe and dry the bhindi/okra.
2. Slice each bhindi vertically, into two or four slices.
3. Smaller okra can be sliced into two and larger ones can be sliced into four.
4. Heat oil in a pan or kadai, crackle the cumin first.
5. Add the garlic. Fry for 15-20 seconds.
6. Then add the sliced onions and saute till they become translucent.
7. Add turmeric powder, green chilies and stir.
8. Add the bhindi. Stir in salt.
9. Cover the pan and let the bhindi cook for 5 minutes.
10. Remove the lid and add the red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, dry mango powder. Stir well.
11. Cook without any lid till the oil starts separating and the bhindi has cooked.
12. If the okra mixture starts to stick to the pan, then sprinkle some water and continue to cook.
13. Stir for some times, when the bhindi is cooking.
14. Garnish lahsuni bhindi with some coriander or mint leaves and serve lahsuni bhindi with roti or phulkas.
Note:This recipe is a bit on the spicier side. You can adjust the quantity of spices as per your preference. Just reduce the green chili and red chili powder.
Ingredients(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)