Kheer (Indian rice pudding)
Recipe serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup rice
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar according to taste
- A pinch of saffron
- Pinch of crushed cardamom
- 2 tablespoons sliced dry fruits
- 1 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
- Wash rice by changing water until the water is clear.
- Melt ghee in a frying pan on medium flame.
- Add rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and cook until the rice is tender and the milk is creamy and reduced to about half. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn.
- Add sugar, saffron, cardamom powder, dry fruits and let simmer for a few more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool a bit. As kheer cools, it becomes thicker in texture.
- Kheer can be served chilled or warm.